Criteria in Selecting ASHOF Nominees
Inductee Nomination and Election Process
Under the authority of the Alabama Legislature Act No. 225, effective August 16, 1967, The Board of Directors of the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame has set forth the inductee nomination and election process. Any citizen in the State of Alabama has the privilege of nominating a person, living or dead, who in their opinion, has by his or her athletic or sports exploits brought fame and glory to the State of Alabama. The initial nomination must be mailed to the Executive Director prior to June 1st for that person to be considered for the next class. It should consist of a letter of nomination, along with detailed biographical and statistical information on that personís career, and if possible a picture should be included. Once nominated, that person remains in nomination each year until removed from the list of nominees for some valid reason or until selected for induction.
Nomination and Election Process
1.† A candidate must have by his or her athletic sports exploits brought fame and glory to the State of Alabama.
2.† Male or female participants in any recognized form of sports competition are eligible for nomination.
3.† All candidates must have been in retirement at least one year, except those 40 years of age and older who are still active.
4. †There are two categories of inductees, modern and old timers. If the nominee performed more than 40 years ago or is 70 years old, he or she is considered an old timer.
5. †Each year the Board of Directors meets to review all nominees and prepare the ballots. There will be a ballot for those in the modern category and one for the old timer category. The Board will determine the number to be included on each ballot.
6. †The Executive Director will submit the ballots to the selection committees for their vote. There are two statewide selection committees chosen by the Board of Directors and made up of a cross section of society. One is for the modern category and the other is for the old timers.
7. †The number of inductees to be elected is determined annually by the Board of Directors.
8. †The ballots are returned by the selection committee members to an accounting firm for tabulation, and results are forwarded to the Executive Director.
9. †The Board of Directors announces to the media, on or before October 1st, those who have been elected for induction the following year.