Distinguished Sportsmen Criteria
In 1986 the Board of Directors of the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame created two (2) special awards; either or none to be presented at the Annual Induction Banquet. These awards which are separate from the induction of members are:
(1) The Distinguished Alabama Sportsman
(2) The Distinguished American Sportsman
Criteria for selection for the Distinguished Alabama Sportsman Award:
1. Male or Female, minimum age 55.
2. Inducted members of the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame are not eligible.
3. Must be a resident of Alabama.
4. Recipients must have distinguished themselves in one or more of the following qualifications:
A. Recognition as one who has been a leader of sports promotion and development in the State of Alabama and through such endeavors, has brought fame, glory and honor to Alabama. Furthermore, such deeds are recognized both within and beyond the State of Alabama.
B. Sports administration in Alabama.
C. Media contributions to Alabama sports and/or the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame
D. Coaching: High School, College or Professional.
E. Philanthropy for benefit or sport in Alabama.
F. Long-time, on-going service to the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame
Criteria for selection for the Distinguished American Sportsman Award:
1. Male or Female, minimum age 60.
2. Lifetime outstanding success as an American, with a sports related backgound.
3. Lifetime outstanding contributions to humanity and to sports.
4. Having had, or has, an association with a sports, or sports in the State of Alabama.
5. Not required to have been born or living in Alabama.
6. May be an inductee of the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame.